Saturday, April 30, 2011

Opinions Are Like...

One of the things that chaps my ass more then anything else is when I opine on a subject and am told I can't because "I don"t ____", "I've never___" or "I'm not____" and the like. Some examples "you have a job", "you're not a woman", "you're not married", and the big one "you don't have kids". I will tell you quite honestly that the number of things I'm "not" far outweigh the things that I "am". If everyone could only talk about subjects on which they were experts then the world would be a very quiet place

The thing is this, taking from a famous expression, opinions are like assholes, everyone has one and they all stink. But an opinion is a very personal thing and is reflective of how you feel about something and how it affects you, not necessarily the masses. That's why the term "personal opinion" is kind of an oxymoron as all opinions are, at their core, personal...even when it's in the court of public opinion (OK, that was lame). Bottom line-everyone has an opinion on EVERYTHING. Now, whether you agree with this opinion or feel the person giving this opinion is qualified to do so is your problem, not theirs (or mine).

I was thinking that if I was limited to opinions based strictly on who I am then here are the topics; single, forty-something, unmarried, childless, Cambridge, Miller Lite, white hair, pale skin, hockey equipment, Irish heritage...I think that's it. Pretty dull, no? So, no, I will not live by your rules of what I can and can't speak on. I will continue to have an opinion on everything. Whether I choose to share it or not and whether you like it or not is not my concern.

So, in order from above, stop sucking the State dry, I'm sorry it's your time of the month but don't take it out on me, stop being a wuss and letting your wife walk all over you, and you coddle your kids too much, let them walk to school. Wow, that felt good to get that off my chest

No comments: